Skip to main content

Customers angry as ME Bank slashes amount they can withdraw from home loans

ME Bank has slashed the amount an estimated 20,000 customers can redraw from their home loans by thousands of dollars, drawing outrage from borrowers hoping to use the money during the coronavirus crisis.
A spokesman for the bank, which is owned by a group of industry super funds, said it made the move after figuring out that “the redraw facility of some legacy home loans could lead to some customers falling behind their original repayment schedules”.
Home loan redraw facilities allow borrowers to make extra mortgage payments and either use the money to pay off their loan quicker or draw down cash later on.
Customers who have flooded the bank’s Facebook page with complaints appeared to have been caught by surprise by the move.
“The money we lost is actually my husband’s redundancy payment as he was retrenched last week,” one customer, said in a post to the page last week.
The customer said her redraw limit had been slashed by “over $16,000”.
“We are not eligible for Centrelink payments and were relying on those funds to get us through,” she said.
Another said his limit had been slashed by $20,000 with “no notice”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mapping Ohio’s 7,280 coronavirus cases, updates and trends

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The 7,280 coronavirus cases to date in Ohio are spread across 86 of the state’s 88 counties, with 324 deaths, the Ohio Department of Health reported Tuesday. The total was up from 6,975 cases in the same 86 counties on Monday, while the number of deaths increased from 274. Only Harrison and Vinton counties, each with populations of less than 16,000, have no reported cases. Tuesday marked the fifth day of new reporting standards to comply with federal guidelines to now include cases identified from non-testing evidence, certain rapid tests and blood tests that can uncover earlier infections, officials said. This has resulted in 127 additional “probable” cases than would have been reported previously - 42 Friday, 21 Saturday, 23 Sunday, 8 Monday and 33 Tuesday. Yet, even with the new reporting standards, Ohio’s once increasing curve upward of new cases has largely flattened, according to the data. The new cases reported over the previous six days ranged from ...

'We're going to kill you and your family' - Man Utd star Evra received death threats from prisoners after Suarez racism

The former Red Devils star was forced to employ personal security after the warnings were made Former  Manchester United  defender Patrice Evra has revealed he received death threats from prisoners after the racism incident with then- Liverpool  striker Luis Suarez in 2011. Suarez was found guilty of misconduct for insulting comments toward Evra by the Football Association and was suspended for eight matches, with the  Uruguay  international referring to his opponent's skin colour. colour. In the aftermath of the incident, Evra says threats were sent to him, via the club, with many of the menacing messages coming from prisoners. The  France  left-back felt the need to hire security guards to protect himself and his family when notified of the warnings. "Manchester United received so many threatening letters about me,” Evra told the  official Manchester United podcast .